"CHUTE, a parish in the hundred of Kinwardstone, in the county of Wilts, 3 miles N.E. of Ludgershall, and 7 from Andover, its post town and railway station. It is situated on the Roman way from Winchester, under Chutedown, which was formerly a forest. It is principally noted for the extensive and fine domain of Conholt Park, a seat of the Pierreponts, and for the Roman causeway passing through the parish, which is considered a very fine specimen of Roman road. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £244, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a handsome building with tower. The Wesleyans have a place of worship, and there are National and Sunday schools, also several small charities. Corderoy, the divine, was born here. In the neighbourhood are the remains of ancient earthworks. Chute Lodge is a meet for the hounds of T. Smith, Esq."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Population 501 in 1831, 329 in 1951.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Chute, St Nicholas:
- WSRO registers: Chr 1580-1932, Mar 1582-1996, Bur 1580-1897
- A transcription of the section for Chute from
the National Gazetteer (1868).
- The entry for Chute from
A Vision of Britain through time.
- Ask for the gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Chute to another place.
- The entry for Chute from British History Online.
- View maps of Chute and places within its boundaries.