Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Codford St Mary
"CODFORD ST. MARY, a parish in the hundred of Heytesbury, in the county of Wilts, 7 miles S.E. of Warminster, and 3 from Heytesbury, its post town. It is situated on the river Wiley, and has a railway station on the Wilts and Somerset branch of the Great Western line. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £306, in the patronage of St. John's College, Oxford. The church is in the perpendicular style of architecture. The Independents have a chapel and schools. On the top of Codford Hill is Ogbury camp, or circle, covering several acres, and supposed to have been used for heathen rites. Henry Biggs, Esq., of Stockton House, is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]