"CODFORD ST. PETER, a parish in the hundred of Heytesbury, in the county of Wilts, 3 miles S.E. of Heytesbury, its post town. It has a railway station on the Wilts and Somerset branch of the Great Western line. The parish contains the townships of Ashton-Gifford and Codford. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £380, in the patronage of Pembroke College, Oxford. The church is chiefly in the Norman style of architecture, with a stone pulpit. There is a National school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]