National Gazetteer (1868) - Codford St Peter
CODFORD ST. PETER, a parish in the hundred of Heytesbury, in the county of Wilts, 3 miles S.E. of Heytesbury, its post town. It has a railway station on the Wilts and Somerset branch of the Great Western line. The parish contains the townships of Ashton-Gifford and Codford. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £380, in the patronage of Pembroke College, Oxford. The church is chiefly in the Norman style of architecture, with a stone pulpit. There is a National school.
ASHTON-GIFFORD, a township in the parish of Codford St. Peter, hundred of Heytesbury, in the county of Wilts, 2 miles to the S.E. of Heytesbury. The river Wiley runs through this township. It was formerly the estate of the Giffords of Brimsfield.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]