National Gazetteer (1868) - Collingbourne Kingston

"COLLINGBOURNE KINGSTON, a parish in the hundred of Kinwardstone, in the county of Wilts, 4 miles N. of Ludgershall, and 11 S.E. of Marlborough its post town. It is situated on the river Bourne, and contains the hamlets of Southton, Brunton, Kingston, and Augton. At one time it belonged to the Collingbournes. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £261, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a brick and stone building, with tower. It contains monuments to the Pile family. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there are National schools for both sexes. Here is a meet for Mr. A. Smith's hounds. John Norris, the divine, was born in the rectory-house, the living at that time being held by his father."

"AUGHTON, a tything in the parish of Collingbourne Kingston, hundred of Kinwardston, in the county of Wilts, 4 miles from Ludgershall."

"BRUNTON, a tything in the parish of Collingbourne Kingston, hundred of Kinwardstone, in the county of Wilts, 4 miles to the N. of Ludgershall."

"COLLINGBOURNE SUTTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Collingbourne Kingston, in the hundred of Kinwardstone, in the county of Wilts, 1 mile S. of Collingbourne Kingston."

"KINGSTON, a tything in the parish of Collingbourne Kingston, county Wilts, 2 miles N.E. of Lugdershall."

"SOUTHTON, (or Vallence), a tything in the parish of Collingbourne Kingston, county Wilts, 4 miles N.W. of Ludgershall."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]