"COMPTON BASSETT, a parish in the hundred of Calne, in the county of Wilts, 2 miles E. of Calne, its post town. It anciently belonged to the Basset family, who forfeited it to the crown. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £497, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, is partly in the perpendicular and partly in the Norman styles of architecture. The register commences in 1558. There are National schools for both sexes. G. H. Heneage Esq., is lord of the manor, and resides at Compton House, which has an extensive view of 30 miles, and contains many valuable portraits."