National Gazetteer (1868) - Compton Chamberlain
COMPTON CHAMBERLAIN, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of Damerham, in the county of Wilts, 6 miles W. of Wilton, and 10 from Salisbury, its post town. It is situated on a branch of the river Avon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury, and in the patronage of C. Penruddock, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient edifice in the Gothic, style. It contains a monument to the memory of Colonel John Penruddock, who was beheaded by order of Cromwell for attempting to restore Charles II, The register commences in 1538.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]