"CRUDWELL, a parish in the hundred of Malmesbury, in the county of Wilts, 4 miles N. of Malmesbury, its post town, and 4 from the Tetbury Road railway station. It is situated near the old Fosse Way to Cirencester, and contains the hamlets of Chelworth, Eastcourt, Chedglow, and Murcott. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £487, in the patronage of the Rev. W. Maskelyne. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure in the early English style of architecture, and contains several monuments and a stained glass window. The charities amount to £36 per annum. There is a National school, with a small endowment. Earl de Grey is lord of the manor. The village is a meet for the Vale of White Horse hounds."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]