National Gazetteer (1868) - Crudwell
"CRUDWELL, a parish in the hundred of Malmesbury, in the county of Wilts, 4 miles N. of Malmesbury, its post town, and 4 from the Tetbury Road railway station. It is situated near the old Fosse Way to Cirencester, and contains the hamlets of Chelworth, Eastcourt, Chedglow, and Murcott. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £487, in the patronage of the Rev. W. Maskelyne. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure in the early English style of architecture, and contains several monuments and a stained glass window. The charities amount to £36 per annum. There is a National school, with a small endowment. Earl de Grey is lord of the manor. The village is a meet for the Vale of White Horse hounds."
"CHEDGLOW, a hamlet in the parish of Crudwell, in the county of Wilts, 4 miles N. of Malmesbury."
"CHELWORTH, a hamlet in the parish of Crudwell, in the county of Wilts, 5 miles N.E. of Malmesbury."
"EASTCOURT, a hamlet in the parish of Crudwell, county Wilts, 4 miles N.E. of Malmesbury. It is situated on Swill Brook. The church of Crudwell, which is situated in this tything, is an ancient structure, and contains monuments of the Earles family. Eastcourt House is the principal residence."
"MURCOTT, a hamlet in the parish of Crudwell, county Wilts, 3 miles N.E. of Malmesbury."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]