"DILTON, a chapelry in the parish and hundred of Westbury, in the county of Wilts, 2½ miles S.W. of Westbury, and 2½ N. W. of Warminster. The village is considerable. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Salisbury, annexed to the vicarage* of Westbury. The church is a small old structure, dedicated to St. Mary. The charities amount to £93 per annum. Sir Charles Lewis Phipps is lord of the manor. A fair is held on the 24th September for horses, cattle, and cheese."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Dilton was part of the parish of Westbury until 1845. The original village is now known as Old Dilton.