"DINTON, a parish in the hundred of Warminster, in the county of Wilts, 4½ miles W. of Wilton, and 9 W. of Salisbury. It is situated on the river Nadder, and is a station on the London, Yeovil, and Exeter branch of the London and South-Western railway, and is a meet for the South Wilts hounds. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Salisbury, value with the curacy of Teffont-Magna, £410, in the patronage of Magdalen College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a decorated chancel, and a good Norman font. There is a Dissenting chapel and a parochial school. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £390, and the vicarial for £360. The Dean and Canons of Windsor receive a rent-charge of £84 10s. Edward Hyde, Earl of Clarendon, was born here."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]