"DONHEAD ST. ANDREW, a parish in the hundred of Dunworth, in the county of Wilts, 4 miles N.E. of Shaftesbury, and 16 W. of Salisbury. It is situated on the river Don, near Castle Kingcamp, and contains the small hamlet of Easton Bassett. The Semley station on the Salisbury and Yeovil railway is about 2½ miles north. Green sandstone, of which the church is built, is found in abundance in this district. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £814, in the patronage of the Rev. W. Dansey. The church is in the perpendicular style of architecture, with embattled tower and pinnacles. It is dedicated to St. Andrew, and, with the school-house, stands in a vale. The register commences in 1645. Here is a National school for 100 children, with an endowment of £10 10s. 8d. per annum. Some remains of an old castle are to be seen here. It is a meet for Mr. Farquharson's hounds. Fern House and Donhead Lodge are the principal residences. Lord Arundel of Wardour is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]