"DONHEAD ST. MARY, a parish in the hundred of Dunworth, in the county of Wilts, ½ mile E. of Donhead St. Andrew, and 3½ miles N.E. of Shaftesbury, its post town. It contains the tythings of Charlton, Dognal, and Haystone. The village, which is considerable, is situated near the river Don. Most of the houses are built of green sandstone, which is largely quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury, value with the curacy of Charlton annexed, £928, in the patronage of New College, Oxford. The church is an ancient structure, with western tower and pinnacles. It is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, and stands on a hill, known as St. Mary's.
At Charlton there is a chapel-of-ease and a National school. The Wesleyan Methodists and Independents have places of worship, and there are National and British schools. The Society of Friends have a place of interment, but it has not been used for more than a century. In the neighbourhood are some remains of a Roman encampment. Sir Godfrey Kneller formerly resided at Donhead Hall. Charlton House and Wincombe Park are the principal residences. Lord Arundel of Wardour is lord of the manor."
"CHARLTON, a tything in the parish of Donhead St. Mary, in the county of Wilts, 7 miles S. of Hindon. The living is a curacy annexed to St. Mary Donhead. The church is now in ruins."
"DOGNOL, a tything in the parish of Donhead St. Mary, in the county of Wilts, 4 miles S. of Hindon."
"HAYSTONE, a tything in the parish of Donhead St. Mary, county Wilts, 4 miles S. of Hindon."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]