"EAST KNOYLE, a parish in the hundred of Downton, county Wilts, 2 miles S. of Hindon, its post town, 5 N. of Shaftesbury, and 18 S.W. of Salisbury. The parish is wholly agricultural. From the pureness and mildness of its atmosphere, it is esteemed one of the most healthy villages in the S. of England. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £910. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Sarum, value £851, in the patronage of the Bishop of Winchester. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient cruciform structure, with a square embattled tower containing six bells. The nave has been rebuilt. The register dates from 1538. Sir Christopher Wren's father was rector of this parish. The Congregationalists and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. There is a National school for both sexes. The Bishop of Winchester is lord of the manor."
"MILTON, a tything in the parish of East Knoyle, county Wilts, 2 miles S.W. of Hindon."
"UPTON, a tything in the parish of East Knoyle, county Wilts, 2 miles S.W. of Hindon."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]