"EBBESBORNE WAKE, a parish in the hundred of Chalk, county Wilts, 8 miles E. of Shaftesbury, and 12 S.W. of Salisbury, its post town. It is situated on the Salisbury Downs, near the banks of the river Ebell. Where not occupied by the downs, the land is chiefly arable, and produces good crops, being a mixture of clay and chalk. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Salisbury, value £130, in the patronage of the Succentor in Salisbury Cathedral. The church is an ancient Norman structure, dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The Independents have a place of worship, and there is a National school for both sexes. Lord Pembroke is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]