"ENFORD, a parish in the hundred of Elstub and Everley, county Wilts, 7 miles S. of Pewsey, and 6 N. of Amesbury, its post town. The village is pleasantly situated on the river Avon, near a ford connecting the line of road from Warminster to Everley. It is called in Domesday Survey Enedford, and adjoins Salisbury Plain. The parish includes within its limits the tythings of Chisenbury, Combe, Compton, Enford, Fifield, Littlecott, and Long Street. The soil is a light loam, mingled with flints, and resting upon a subsoil of chalk.
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury, value £350, in the patronage of Christ's Hospital, London. The church is a handsome modern structure, erected on the site of a former one struck by lightning in the year 1817. It is dedicated to All Saints, and is noticed by Addison in one of his poems. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. The Baptists have a place of worship. Sir Edmund Antrobus, Bart., is lord of the manor. This is a meet for Mr. T. A. Smith's hounds. In the vicinity are several barrows, in which ancient armour and earthen vessels have been found."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]