"EARL STOKE, a chapelry in the parish of Melksham, in the hundred of Melksham, county Wilts, 3 miles W. of Market Lavington, and 6 N.E. of Westbury, its post town and nearest railway station. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Melksham, in the diocese of Salisbury. The chapel-of-ease is a small ancient structure of stone. Earl Stoke Park is the principal residence. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act obtained in 1777."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]