Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"ETCHILHAMPTON, a chapelry in the parish of Allcannings, hundred of Swanborough, county Wilts, 3 miles S.E. of Devizes, its post town. It is situated at the base of a small hill in the vale of Pewsey, near the source of the small river Avon, which runs by Salisbury into the English Channel. Another river of the same name rises in the vicinity, and passing through Bath and Bristol, falls into the Bristol Channel at Pill. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of Allcannings, in the diocese of Salisbury. The chapel-of-ease is rather an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Andrew, and contains monumental effigies of a knight and lady in the costume of the reign of Edward IH. There is a free school in the village. Lord Ashburton is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Common to all parishes is a Key to Abbreviations and a description of Church Records and Indexes for Wiltshire, including a complete Marriage Index for the county.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Etchilhampton, St Andrew:
- WSRO registers: Chr 1630-1944, Mar 1630-1982, Bur 1630-1992
- IGI (Note overlapping dates of BTs) Chr 1630-1754 from transcript Batch P014071, Chr 1813-1885 Batch C014072, Chr 1606-1812 BTs Batch C014074, Mar 1630-1812 from transcript Batch M014071, Mar 1813-1895 Batch M014073, Mar 1606-1812 BTs Batch M014074
- VRI Chr 1880-1885
- White Horse Baptisms 1606-1623 (gaps), and 1630-1840
- The Ring Marriages 1588-1837
- Wiltshire Index Service Burials 1630-1837
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Etchilhampton which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Etchilhampton has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU045602 (Lat/Lon: 51.340817, -1.936800), Etchilhampton which are provided by: