National Gazetteer (1868) - Fisherton Anger
FISHERTON-ANGER, a parish in the hundred of Branch and Dole, county Wilts. It is situated on the western hank of the river Avon, and is a suburb of the city of Salisbury, with which it is connected by a stone bridge. A monastery of Black Friars was founded here about the 13th century. Both the Great Western and South-Western railways have stations here, and the gaol for the county, as well as the infirmary, are situated on the side of the river. There is also a private lunatic asylum conducted in Fisherton House.
The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £212. The church is a modern stone and flint structure, with tower and spire. It is dedicated to St. Paul, and stands on the site of the former St. Clement's. The charities consist of Hayter's almshouses, with an endowment producing about £200 per annum, and other bequests yielding nearly £40, for the poor and school purposes. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel, and there is a National school for boys and girls.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]