FISHERTON-ANGER, a parish in the hundred of Branch and Dole, county Wilts. It is situated on the western hank of the river Avon, and is a suburb of the city of Salisbury, with which it is connected by a stone bridge. A monastery of Black Friars was founded here about the 13th century. Both the Great Western and South-Western railways have stations here, and the gaol for the county, as well as the infirmary, are situated on the side of the river. There is also a private lunatic asylum conducted in Fisherton House.
The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £212. The church is a modern stone and flint structure, with tower and spire. It is dedicated to St. Paul, and stands on the site of the former St. Clement's. The charities consist of Hayter's almshouses, with an endowment producing about £200 per annum, and other bequests yielding nearly £40, for the poor and school purposes. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel, and there is a National school for boys and girls.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Fisherton Anger is now part of Salisbury.
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Fisherton Anger area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Fisherton Anger, St Paul & St Clement:
- A transcription of the section for Fisherton Anger from
the National Gazetteer (1868).
- The entry for Fisherton Anger from
A Vision of Britain through time.
- Ask for the gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Fisherton Anger to another place.
- The entry for Fisherton Anger from British History Online.
- View maps of Fisherton Anger and places within its boundaries.
Population was 1,496 in 1831.