"FITTLETON, a parish in the hundred of Elstub, county Wilts, 5 miles N. of Amesbury, its post town, and 14 E. of Andover. It is situated on the river Avon, and includes the tything of Hackleston. The village lies in a fertile valley, with open downs on each side. The soil is a light loam, mixed with flints, resting on a substratum of chalk. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £444, in the patronage of Magdalen College, Oxford. The church is a small structure, dedicated to All Saints. It has a carved oak roof, and contains some monuments. There is an endowed National school for both sexes. Sir E. M. H. Beach, Bart., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]