National Gazetteer (1868) - Foxley
FOXLEY, a parish in the hundred of Malmesbury, county Wilts, 3 miles S.W. of Malmesbury, its post town, and 10 N.W. of Chippenham. It is situated near the old Roman highway, Akeman Street, and appears to take its name from the Foxe family, who had possession of it after the Aycliffe. The parish is bounded on the N. by a branch of the river Avon. The surface is flat, and the soil of inferior quality. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £261. The church is an ancient structure, and contains some very old monuments. Lord Holland is lord of the manor, and takes from this place the title of Baron Holland of Foxley. There are traces of a Roman camp near the spot where the Roman road crosses the Avon.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]