National Gazetteer (1868) - Froxfield
"FROXFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Kinwardstone, county Wilts, 3 miles W. of Hungerford, its post town, and 7 E. of Marlborough. It includes the tythings of Hughditch, Oakhill, and Rudge. The Bath turnpike road passes through the village, and within half a mile runs the Kennet and Avon canal. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury, value £122, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is a plain brick structure, standing on a hill apart from the village. It is dedicated to All Saints. Here are almshouses for 50 widows of clergymen and laymen residing within 160 miles of London. It was founded by the Duchess Dowager of Somerset in 1686, since which time the property has much improved in value. A chaplain, surgeon, and steward are appointed by the trustees. The revenue is nearly £2,400 per annum."
"BUDGE, a tything in the parish of Froxfield, county Wilts, 4 miles N.W. of Hungerford."
"OAKHILL, a tything in the parish of Froxfield, county Wilts, 2 miles W. of Hungerford."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]