Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Garsdon
"GARSDON, a parish in the hundred of Malmesbury, county Wilts, 2 miles N.E. of Malmesbury, its post town, and 44 S.W. of Minety, the nearest railway station on the Swindon and Cheltenham branch of the Great Western line. Tiles for land draining are manufactured at this place. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; of the value, with the vicarage of Lea annexed, of £441. The church is a modern edifice, erected on the site of the old one, and dedicated to All Saints. It has a monument of one of the Washington family. The Earl of Suffolk is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]