Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Great Chalfield
"GREAT CHALFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Bradford, in the county of Wilts, 7 miles from Bath, and 4 from the Melksham station of the Great Western railway. It is situated on a branch of the river Avon, and includes the extra-parochial liberties of Little Chalfield and Cottles. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury, value £162, in the patronage of Lady Neale. The church is dedicated to St. Catherine. The manor-house, erected in the reign of Henry VI., is a fine specimen of the Tudor style of architecture."
"LITTLE CHALFIELD, an extra-parochial place in the parish of Great Chalfield, in the hundred of Bradford, in the county of Wilts."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]