National Gazetteer (1868) - Great Somerford
"GREAT SOMERFORD, a parish in the hundred of Malmesbury, county Wilts, 7 miles N. of Chippenham, its post town, and 4 S.E. of Malmesbury. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Avon, and is chiefly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlet of Startley. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £447, in the patronage of Exeter College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, has a square embattled tower containing four bells. The interior contains several tablets. There is a school for both sexes. Mrs. Birtill is lady of the manor."
"STARTLEY, a hamlet in the parish of Great Somerford, county Wilts, 3 miles S. of Malmesbury."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]