"GREAT WISHFORD, a parish in the hundred of Branch, county Wilts, 3½ miles N.W. of Wilton, and 6 N.W. of Salisbury. It is a station on the Great Western railway. The village is situated on the road from Salisbury to Bath, and on the Willey stream, which runs through the parish. The soil is in general chalky. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £472. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, was enlarged in 1829. In the interior are monuments of Sir Richard Grobham, and of Thomas Bonham, Esq., once lord of the manors. The register commences in 1558. The charities produce about £180 per annum, of which £65 is the endowment of Sir R. Howe's school, and £80 of the 4 almshouses founded by Sir R. Grobham in 1628; the remainder is applied to the apprenticing of poor children and gifts to 10 poor families on Christmas Eve. The Earl of Pembroke is lord of the manor."
"WILEY, a station on the Salisbury branch of the Great Western railway, in the parish of Great Wishford, county Wilts, 7 miles from Wilton."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]