National Gazetteer (1868) - Grittleton
GRITTLETON, a parish in the hundred of Damerham, county Wilts, 3 miles E. of Nettleton, and 6 N.W. of Chippenham, its post town. It is situated near the borders of Gloucestershire, on the old Roman road, Ackman Street, leading from Bath to Cirencester. The parish includes the hamlet of Foscot. The Gore and Houlton families formerly possessed the manor. The tithes were commuted for a rent-charge of £419. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £389. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities produce about £9 per annum. The Baptists have a chapel, which has an endowment of nearly. £40 yearly. Fossil fish and other diluvial remains have been found. Sir John Neild, Bart., is lord of the manor, whose seat is Grittleton House.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]