National Gazetteer (1868) - Groveley Wood
GROVELY WOOD, an extra parochial place in the hundred of Cawden, county Wilts, 4 miles N.W. of Wilton. There are extensive remains of ancient camps and entrenchments. Some persons believe these to have been British towns, occupied subsequently as a fortified station by the Romans, who constructed a road through this part of the country. It is a meet for the South Wiltshire hounds.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]