Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Ham
"HAM, a parish in the hundred of Elstub, county Wilts, 4 miles S. of Hungerford, its railway station and post town. It is a small agricultural village. The land, which is chiefly arable, consists of extensive sweeps of open country, lying under a range of chalk hills. The downs afford good pasturage for sheep, and there is a small extent of woodland. The soil is in some parts chalk, and in others a sandy loam. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Sarum, value £457, in the patronage of the Bishop of Winchester. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a small tile-roofed edifice, with a square tower. The parochial charities produce £1 per annum. There is a school supported by the rector."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]