National Gazetteer (1868) - Hankerton
HANKERTON, a parish in the hundred of Malmesbury, county Wilts, 4 miles N.E. of Malmesbury, its post, town, and 4 W. of Minety railway station. It is a small straggling village, containing the tything of Cloatly. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £269. The church, dedicated to the Holy Cross, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing four bells. The parochial charities produce about £3 per annum. There is a National school. The Earl of Suffolk is lord of the manor.
CLOATLY, a tything in the parish of Hankerton, in the hundred of Malmesbury, in the county of Wilts, half a mile E. of Hankerton, and 3 N.E. of Malmesbury, its post town.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]