"HANNINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Highworth, county Wilts, 2 miles N.W. of Highworth, its post town, and 7 N.E. of the Swindon railway station. The village, which is small, is situated near the river Thames, which has its source about 5 miles from Crickdale. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. Hannington bridge, over the Thames, connects this parish with that of Kempsford in Gloucestershire. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £131.
The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, is a neat structure, with square tower containing five bells. In the interior are several monuments to the Freke family. There is a chapel-of-ease at Hannington Wick, with an endowment of £10 per annum, part of the produce of land bequeathed by Lady Norton. The charities produce about £50 per annum, applied to the repairs of the church and highways, to the apprenticing of children, and to the relief of the poor. There is a free school, supported by Lady Norton's bequest, and a parochial school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]