National Gazetteer (1868) - Hardenhuish
"HARDENHUISH, (or Harnish), a parish in the hundred of Chippenham, county Wilts, 1½ mile N.W. of Chippenham, its post town. The village, which is situated near the Great Western railway, is small and wholly agricultural. The Great Western railway skirts the parish, and a branch of the Kennet and Avon canal terminates within a mile of it. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £92 10s. The substratum is principally limestone. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £90. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is situated on a hill, and is partly overspread with ivy. In the churchyard is the tomb of Thorpe, and a monument of white marble to Ricardo, the political economist. Here is a free school, supported by E. Clutterbuck, Esq. Hardenhuish Hall, the principal residence, is the seat of the Clutterbucks."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]