National Gazetteer (1868) - Highway
"HIGHWAY, a parish in the hundred of Potterne, county Wilts, 4½ miles N.E. of Calne, its post town, and 5 S. of Wootton Basset. The village consists of a few farmhouses. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £165. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Bremhill, in the diocese of Sarum. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. Augustus Henry Tongs, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]