National Gazetteer (1868) - Hill Deverill
HILL-DEVERILL, a parish in the hundred of Heytesbury, county Wilts, 3 miles S. of Warminster, its post town, and 4 S.W. of Heytesbury. The village consists of a few farmhouses. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Sarum, value £76, in the patronage of the prebendary thereof. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. It was rebuilt in 1842 by voluntary contributions. The Duke of Somerset is lord of the manor. General Ludlow was born in this parish.
LONGLEAT, a seat of the Marquis of Bath, in the parish of Hill Deverill, county Wilts, 4 miles W. of Warminster. It is situated on the banks of the river Frome, and is surrounded by a park 15 miles in circumference. The present mansion, which is in the Italian style of architecture, is 220 feet long by 180. It was begun in 1567 after designs by John de Padua, and has recently been improved by Wyatt; it contains a massive baronial hall, and a spacious portrait gallery, with paintings by Reynolds and other ancient masters.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]