"HILLMARTON, a parish in the hundred of Kingsbridge and Selkley, county Wilts, 3 miles N.E. of Calne, its post town, and 7 S.W. of Wootton-Bassett. It contains the hamlets of Catcomb, Beversbrook, Corton, Whitcomb, and Cleaveancy. The surface is level, and the land chiefly pasture. There are several quarries of good building stone and clay for making bricks. The village, which is small, is situated on the Oxford road. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Sarum, value £399, in the patronage of the crown. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is a noble edifice with a square embattled tower, which was partly rebuilt at the expense of the late Thomas Poynder, Esq., who also thoroughly restored the church, at a great expense, in 1851. The charities produce about £14 per annum, £4 of which goes to a school. The Independents have a place of worship at Goatacre in this parish. Thomas Henry Allen Poynder, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"CATCOMB, a tything in the parish of Hillmarton, hundred of Kingsbridge, in the county of Wilts, 3 miles to the N. of Calne. It is near the Great Western railway."
"CLEAVE ANSTY, (or Cleveancy), a tything in the parish of Hillmarton, in the county of Wilts, 4 miles N.E. of Calne."
"GORTON, a tything and chapelry in the parish of Hillmarton, in the county of Wilts, 4 miles N.E. of Calne. The church is in ruins."
"WHITCOMB, a tything in the parish of Hillmarton, county Wilts, 3 miles N.E. of Calne."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]