Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Hilperton
"HILPERTON, a parish in the hundred of Melksham, county Wilts, 1½ mile N.E. of the Trowbridge railway station, its post town, 2 miles S.E. of Bradford, and 4 S.W. of Melksham. The village, which is small, is situated near the river Avon and Avon and Kennet canal. There is a good wharf on its banks, partly in this parish and partly in that of Trowbridge. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in the cloth trade. The manufacture of fine broadcloth and kerseymeres was formerly carried on. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £360. The living is a rectory* with that of Whaddon annexed, in the diocese of Sarum, value £259. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, has a tower containing four bells. Here is a National school for both sexes, also places of worship for the Wesleyans and Baptists. Walter Long, Esq., is lord of the manor, and principal landowner."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]