National Gazetteer (1868) - Hindon
HINDON, a parish, post and market town in the hundred of Downton, county Wilts, 9 miles S. of Warminster, and 16 W. of Salisbury. The village, which is inconsiderable, is situated on the slope of one of the Wiltshire downs, near the high road from Salisbury to Taunton, and about 2 miles from the ruins of Fonthill Abbey. Hindon formerly belonged to the Beauchamps and the Hydes, to whom it gave title of baron. It was a prescriptive borough returning two members to parliament from the reign of Henry VI., until it was disfranchised by the Reform Act. A great portion of the town was destroyed by fire in 1752. A considerable trade was done in silk twist and kerseymeres, but both these manufactures have now become extinct.
Petty sessions are held fortnightly at the Sessions Hall. Hindon is a polling-place for the southern division of the county. The houses are principally built of stone. To the N.W. of the town, on the old Roman road leading to Old Sarum, are the remains of an ancient British settlement called Stockton Works. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Sarum, value £75. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing six bells. The church was thoroughly restored and enlarged in 1836. The Independents and Primitive Methodists have places of worship. The charities produce about £104, of which £93 goes to the support of a free school.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]