HORNINGSHAM, a parish in the hundred of Heytesbury, county Wilts, 4½ miles S.W. of Warminster, its post town, and 5½ S.E. of Frome. The parish, which is small, is situated on the borders of Somersetshire. From one of the hills a view is obtained over portions of the counties of Wilts, Dorset, and Somerset. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Sarum, value £215, in the patronage of the Bishop of Salisbury. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was rebuilt in 1845 at the expense of the Marchioness of Bath, and has an oak roof and old tower. The charities produce about £41 per annum, of which £31 goes to Cray's schools. The Independents have a chapel. There is a National school, and a school supported by the Marquis of Bath. Longleat House, the principal residence, in an extensive park, is chiefly situated in the parish of Longbridge Deverill. It is the scat of the Marquis of Bath, who is lord of the manor.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- St John the Baptist, Church Street, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Horningsham area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Horningsham, St John the Baptist:
Indexes and registers of the church of Horningsham, Independent:
- IGI Chr 1784-1837 Batch 077811 (RG4 1905)
- A transcription of the section for Horningsham from
the National Gazetteer (1868).
- The entry for Horningsham from
A Vision of Britain through time.
- Ask for the gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Horningsham to another place.
- The entry for Horningsham from British History Online.
- View maps of Horningsham and places within its boundaries.