, (or Huish), a parish in the hundred of Swanborough, county Wilts, 3 miles N.W. of Pewsey, its post town, and 5 S.W. of Marlborough. The parish is of small extent and wholly agricultural. It originally formed part of the possessions of the Somerset family, but was given by Sarah, Duchess of Somerset, in 1690, for the endowment of a college at Froxfield, for the residence and maintenance of 20 widows of clergymen, and 30 widows of laymen. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £185. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Sarum, value £178. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a plain edifice. There is a day school. In the vicinity are numerous barrows, also an ancient camp. The trustees of Froxfield College are lords of the manor.
HUISH, (or Hewish), a parish in the hundred of Swanborough, county Wilts, 3 miles N.W. of Pewsey and 5 S.W. of Marlborough. The village, which is inconsiderable, is situated amongst the Downs. There is an ancient camp and several barrows in the neighbourhood. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £185. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Sarum, value £178, in the patronage of the trustees of Froxfield College, to whom the property was given by Sarah Duchess of Somerset, in 1690. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. There is a small day school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]