"IMBER, a parish in the hundreds of Heytesbury and Swanborough, county Wilts, 4 miles N.E. of Heytesbury, its post town, 6 N.E. of Warminster, and 7 S.E. of Westbury railway station. The parish is situated on Salisbury Plain, and surrounded by extensive downs. The substratum is chalk alternated with flint. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £409. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Sarum, value £120. The church is dedicated to St. Giles. In the interior are two stone effigies of Knights Templars of the family of Le Rouse. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. The Baptists have a chapel, and there is a National school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Imber is now within a military training area, and has no inhabitants. Around the training area, all about 4 miles away, are Bratton, Tilshead, and Heytesbury; Warminster is 7 miles away. The modern map from Streetmap shows Imber on a current Ordance Survey map.