Open a form to report problems or contribute information
National Gazetteer (1868) - Imber
"IMBER, a parish in the hundreds of Heytesbury and Swanborough, county Wilts, 4 miles N.E. of Heytesbury, its post town, 6 N.E. of Warminster, and 7 S.E. of Westbury railway station. The parish is situated on Salisbury Plain, and surrounded by extensive downs. The substratum is chalk alternated with flint. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £409. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Sarum, value £120. The church is dedicated to St. Giles. In the interior are two stone effigies of Knights Templars of the family of Le Rouse. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. The Baptists have a chapel, and there is a National school."