"KEEVIL, a parish in the hundred of Whorwelsdown and Melksham, county Wilts, 4 miles E. of Trowbridge, its post town, 4 S. of Melksham, and 5 N.E. of Westbury. The parish is wholly agricultural, and contains the tything of Bulkindon. It is watered by a copious brook, which flows into the river Avon near Leamington. The tithes were commuted for corn-rents under an Enclosure Act in 1794. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Sarum, value £250, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, has a square embattled tower. There is a chapel for the Wesleyans, also a school with a small endowment. William W. B. Beach, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]