National Gazetteer (1868) - Kemble
KEMBLE, a parish in the hundred of Malmesbury, county Wilts, 5 miles S.W. of Cirencester, its post town, and 8 N.E. of Malmesbury. It has a station on the Great Western railway, which is called Tetbury Road Junction. One of the sources of the Thames is in this parish, and water is raised from it by a steam-engine for the supply of the Thames and Severn canal. The tithes a ere commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1772. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £249. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure with a tower crowned by a lofty steeple, which was struck by lightning in July, 1834. The chancel was rebuilt in 1840, when the church was greatly improved. The chantry contains a very antique triple window. There are several monuments, among which is that of a Knight Templar. The parochial charities produce about £25 per annum. There is a free school. Robert Gordon, Esq., is lord-of the manor.
EWEN, a tything in the parish of Kemble, county Wilts, 3 miles S.W. of Cirencester. The Thames and Severn canal and Great Western railway pass through this neighbourhood.
WICK, a tything in the parishes of Kemble and Oaksey, hundred of Malmesbury, county Wilts, 6 miles N.E. of Malmesbury, and 7 N.W. of Cricklade.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]