"KNOOK, a parish in the hundred of Heytesbury, county Wilts, 1 mile S.E. of Heytesbury, its post town, and 5 S.E. of Warminster. The parish is situated on the road from Bath to Salisbury. The village is small, but neatly built. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1792. About 2 miles N. of Heytesbury is Knook Castle, an earthwork, and near to it the Old Ditch, which extends from Westbury Leigh to Durnford, on the river Avon. On Knock Down are the sites of two villages formerly connected by the Old Ditch. The living is a perpetual curacy, usually held with that of Heytesbury, in the diocese of Sarum. The church is dedicated to St. Margaret."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Knook is 1 mile SE of Heytesbury. Grid Ref ST937418. Postcode BA12 0JG. Population 282 in 1831, 544 in 1951.