"LANGLEY-BURRELL, a parish in the hundred of Chippenham, county Wilts, 1½ mile N.E. of Chippenham, its post town, and 11½ miles N. of Devizes. The village, which is irregularly built, is situated on the river Avon, and near the line of the Great Western railway. It is wholly agricultural. The parish is crossed by a causeway more than 3 miles in length, supported on 60 arches, and carried over the river Avon. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £386., The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing four bells. There is also a district church, dedicated to St. Paul, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £200, in the patronage of the bishop. There is a free school, supported by the Rev. R. Ashe."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]