National Gazetteer (1868) - Latton
"LATTON, a parish in the hundred of Highworth, county Wilts, 1½ mile N.W. of Cricklade, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on the Thames and Severn canal, near the Roman way Ermine Street. A Roman pavement was discovered in 1670. On the Cirencester road is a stone cross of great antiquity. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents under an Enclosure Act in 1801. The living is a vicarage* with that of Elsey annexed, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, joint value £380. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and has a square tower, containing five bells. It has been recently restored. There is a National school for both sexes, supported by the Earl of St. Germans, who is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]