"LATTON, a parish in the hundred of Highworth, county Wilts, 1½ mile N.W. of Cricklade, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on the Thames and Severn canal, near the Roman way Ermine Street. A Roman pavement was discovered in 1670. On the Cirencester road is a stone cross of great antiquity. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents under an Enclosure Act in 1801. The living is a vicarage* with that of Elsey annexed, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, joint value £380. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and has a square tower, containing five bells. It has been recently restored. There is a National school for both sexes, supported by the Earl of St. Germans, who is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Latton is 2 miles NW of Cricklade. Grid Ref SU094958. Postcode SN6 6DQ. Population 360 in 1831, 506 in 1951.
- St John the Baptist, Croft Lane, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Latton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Latton, St John the Baptist:
- WSRO registers: Chr 1576-1920, Mar 1578-1975, Bur 1578-1992
- BTs from 1603 with gaps
- IGI Chr 1576-1920 Batch C152551 (latest event published probably about 1890)
- VRI Chr 1576-1919, Mar 1576-1906
- WFHS transcript Chr and Bur 1576/1628-1837
- White Horse Baptisms 1576-1840
- Phillimore Marriages 1578-1837 (vol 12)
- Wiltshire Index Service Burials 1578-1837
- National Burial Index 1578-1837
The transcription of the section for Latton from the National Gazetteer (1868).
Prior to 1858 Latton fell under the jurisdiction of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire for probate purposes. The records are held at the Wiltshire and Swindon Archives.
Adrian Parry has kindly provided a transcripts of the administration of William Hill (1754) from Latton.