"LEIGH-DE-LA-MERE, a parish in the hundred of Chippenham, county Wilts, 5 miles N.W. of Chippenham, its post town, and 8 S.W. of Malmesbury. The village of Leigh consists of the church, parsonage, and manor farm, the rest of the parish forming the hamlet of Sevington. The parish derives its name from the De-la-Mere family, who sold it prior to the year 1369. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £236. The living is a rectory with the curacy of Sevington annexed, joint value £290, in the diocese of Gloucester, and Bristol. The living was once held by a brother of Bishop Latimer, who was interred here. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is a neat edifice with a curious bell turret. The church was rebuilt in 1846 at the expense of the late Joseph Neeld, Esq. At Sevington is a small dame school. Sir John Neeld, Bart., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Leigh Delamere or Leigh de la Mere is 5 miles NW of Chippenham. Grid Ref ST885793. Postcode SN14 6JY. Population 128 in 1831.