"LONGBRIDGE DEVERILL, a parish in the hundred of Damerham, in the county of Wilts, 2 miles S. of Warminster. This place derives its name from the rivulet Dever, which here takes a subterranean course. The land is nearly equally distributed into arable and pasture, with 900 acres of wood and plantations. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury, value, with Crockerton and Deverill Monekton, £350, in the patronage of the Marquis of Bath. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, was built by subscription, and is situated in the hamlet of Crockerton. It contains monuments of the Marquis of Bath's family. The charities amount to £110, including £90 for Thynne's almshouses."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Longbridge Deverill or Deverhill is 3 miles S of Warminster. Grid Ref ST866414. Postcode BA12 7DL. Population 1,307 in 1831, 1,099 in 1951. The historic parish included Crockerton, which became a parish in 1843 with its own parish registers.